You can’t have a great party without an accompanying playlist. Putting one together is an art form in some circles.
And it’s likely you’ll be attending or hosting at least one holiday party in the coming weeks. Most employees are actually starting to feel something short of dread when it comes to going to these parties anymore. But how would they feel about a party set to just the right soundtrack?
That’s where a collaborative effort between LinkedIn and Spotify comes in.
“When it comes to holiday music in the workplace, the best way to avoid a clash with colleagues is to stick with the tried and true,” editorial marketing director Blair Decembrele writes on the LinkedIn blog.
They’ve got a Christmas music playlist they say will liven even the most awkward office party this season. It’s now ready to stream from your Bluetooth device to your office speakers right away.
Decembrele says the LinkedIn picks are the most popular Christmas songs currently included on office playlists available on Spotify.
This list of tunes may require editing based on your acceptable level of Bublé. Michael Bublé appears 7 times on a 20-track list.
And “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” appears three times by three artists — again including Bublé. The other versions on the list are by The Jackson 5 and Bruce Springsteen’s “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town”.
The list also shows a shift in the traditional songs people are used to hearing this time of year. The standards may be on the list but they’re not by the original singers. But the list also features some contemporary favorites — at least songs that were popularized in the 1980s and 1990s.
Again, if you’re in a jam, the list is ready to play right away. You can also drag this into your Spotify player and tinker with some of the tracks to add your favorites. You can also poll your employees to find out their favorites to add to create and share your own office’s playlist.
Top 20 Songs on LinkedIn/Spotify Holiday Office Party Playlist
1. All I Want for Christmas Is You (Mariah Carey)
2. Last Christmas (Wham!)
3. It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas (Michael Bublé)
4. It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Andy Williams)
5. Holly Jolly Christmas (Michael Bublé)
6. Feliz Navidad (José Feliciano)
7. Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town (Bruce Springsteen)
8. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (The Jackson 5)
9. Do They Know It’s Christmas? (Band Aid)
10. Blue Christmas (Elvis Presley)
11. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays (*NSYNC)
12. Jingle Bells (Michael Bublé, feat. The Puppini Sisters)
13. Step Into Christmas (Elton John)
14.Sleigh Ride (The Ronettes)
15. White Christmas (Michael Bublé, duet With Shania Twain)
16. Fairytale of New York (The Pogues, feat. Kirsty MacColl)
17. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! (Frank Sinatra)
18. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Michael Bublé)
19. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (Michael Bublé)
20. All I Want For Christmas Is You (Michael Bublé)
Setting the Holiday Mood with the LinkedIn/Spotify Office Party Playlist
Holiday parties are synonymous with good music, and the right playlist can elevate the festive spirit to a whole new level. LinkedIn and Spotify have joined forces to curate a Christmas music playlist that promises to add vibrancy and energy to even the most awkward office gatherings this holiday season.
LinkedIn’s editorial marketing director, Blair Decembrele, advises that sticking to tried-and-true holiday classics is the safest way to ensure the playlist resonates well with colleagues. The playlist comprises the most popular Christmas songs currently featured on office playlists available on Spotify.
The carefully crafted playlist features an array of holiday favorites that span across eras and genres. From Mariah Carey’s timeless “All I Want for Christmas Is You” to Michael Bublé’s beloved renditions, the list captures the essence of the holiday season. However, it’s worth noting that Bublé makes a significant appearance, with his voice gracing seven tracks out of the twenty.
While traditional classics find their place on the list, the collection also showcases a shift toward more contemporary favorites from the 1980s and 1990s. The inclusion of tracks like *NSYNC’s “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays” and Elton John’s “Step Into Christmas” adds a nostalgic touch to the playlist.
For those looking to create a holiday atmosphere with minimal effort, the LinkedIn/Spotify playlist is ready to play. However, the interactive nature of the playlist allows for personalization. Employers can tailor the selection to suit their office vibe or even poll employees to gather their input for a collaborative playlist.
In the spirit of shared celebration, the LinkedIn/Spotify office party playlist promises to set the perfect backdrop for a memorable and harmonious holiday gathering.
Creating Your Own Festive Office Playlist: Tips and Suggestions
Adding a carefully curated playlist to your office holiday party can set the perfect tone and keep the festivities alive. Here are some tips to help you craft an enjoyable and memorable musical experience:
- Incorporate Holiday Classics: Including traditional holiday songs that everyone knows and loves can create a nostalgic and festive atmosphere.
- Mix Old and New: Blend classic tunes with contemporary favorites to cater to different musical tastes and generations.
- Collaborate with Colleagues: Involve your colleagues in selecting songs to ensure everyone’s preferences are considered, fostering a sense of inclusivity.
- Avoid Overplaying: While iconic holiday songs are great, be mindful not to overplay certain tracks to keep the playlist fresh and enjoyable.
- Add Variety: Include a mix of genres, such as pop, rock, jazz, and R&B, to keep the playlist dynamic and engaging.
- Consider Instrumentals: Instrumental versions of holiday songs can provide a relaxing backdrop for conversations and mingling.
- Personalize the Playlist: Use platforms like Spotify to adjust the playlist based on your office’s musical taste, and encourage employees to follow and contribute.
- Create a Flow: Arrange the songs in a sequence that builds up the energy and excitement, ensuring a seamless transition between tracks.
- Theme-Based Selections: Consider creating mini-themes within the playlist, like a “Dance Party” section or a “Cozy Classics” segment.
- Include Lesser-Known Tracks: Introduce lesser-known holiday gems that can spark conversations and intrigue among colleagues.
- Remember the Lyrics: Opt for songs with cheerful and appropriate lyrics that align with the festive spirit of the occasion.
- Interactive Elements: Incorporate a song request segment to allow attendees to contribute their favorite tracks to the playlist.
- Mind the Volume: Adjust the volume level to allow for conversations while ensuring the music remains an enjoyable background.
- Engage and Enjoy: Encourage employees to dance, sing along, and immerse themselves in the joyful ambiance of the playlist.
|Incorporate Holiday Classics
|Include well-known traditional holiday songs for a nostalgic and festive atmosphere.
|Mix Old and New
|Blend classic tunes with modern favorites to cater to various musical preferences.
|Collaborate with Colleagues
|Involve coworkers in song selection to promote inclusivity and consider diverse tastes.
|Balance iconic holiday tracks with lesser-played ones to keep the playlist fresh and enjoyable.
|Incorporate diverse genres (pop, rock, jazz, R&B) to maintain playlist dynamism and engagement.
|Include instrumental holiday songs for relaxed ambiance during conversations and mingling.
|Personalize the Playlist
|Use platforms like Spotify to tailor the playlist to your office’s musical taste and encourage employee contributions.
|Create a Flow
|Arrange songs in a sequence that builds energy and excitement, ensuring smooth transitions between tracks.
|Craft mini-themes within the playlist, like “Dance Party” or “Cozy Classics,” to add variety and interest.
|Include Lesser-Known Tracks
|Introduce hidden holiday gems to spark conversations and intrigue among colleagues.
|Remember the Lyrics
|Opt for cheerful and appropriate lyrics that match the festive spirit and contribute to the joyful atmosphere.
|Add a song request segment to allow attendees to contribute their favorite tracks, promoting engagement.
|Mind the Volume
|Set a suitable volume level that maintains music as a background while enabling conversations.
|Engage and Enjoy
|Encourage participation in dancing, singing, and enjoying the lively ambiance created by the playlist.
Maximizing the Impact of the Holiday Office Party Playlist
- 1. Diversify with Genre Variations: While the top 20 songs provide a solid base, consider adding variations to cater to different tastes. Mix in holiday jazz, classical renditions, or even upbeat dance versions of Christmas classics to keep the playlist dynamic and inclusive.
- 2. Integrate Employee Favorites: Encourage employees to contribute their favorite holiday tunes. This not only makes the playlist more diverse but also boosts employee morale by making them feel heard and valued.
- 3. Consider Cultural Diversity: In today’s global workplace, it’s essential to include holiday songs from different cultures and traditions. This fosters an inclusive environment and allows employees to share their cultural heritage.
- 4. Balance Tempo and Mood: While upbeat songs are great for energy, balance them with slower, more relaxed tunes. This creates a comfortable environment for everyone, whether they want to dance or just enjoy the music while mingling.
- 5. Update Classics with Modern Covers: Alongside the traditional versions of holiday classics, consider adding modern covers by contemporary artists. This keeps the playlist fresh and relatable, especially for a younger workforce.
- 6. Interactive Music Quizzes: Incorporate music-based trivia or quizzes related to the playlist. This can be a fun activity during the party and a great conversation starter.
- 7. Volume Control: Be mindful of the volume – it should be loud enough to create a festive atmosphere but not so loud that it hinders conversation. Adjust the volume as the event progresses, depending on the activities and mood.
- 8. Avoid Repetitive Tracks: With Michael Bublé appearing multiple times, ensure you balance his tracks with other artists. Too much repetition of the same artist can become monotonous.
- 9. Leverage Streaming Platforms: Utilize the features of streaming platforms like Spotify to create collaborative playlists where employees can add their songs directly, making it a collective effort.
- 10. Time the Playlist Right: Structure the playlist to align with the phases of the party. Start with mellow tunes and gradually move to more upbeat tracks as the evening progresses.
Crafting the perfect office holiday party playlist can enhance the celebration, uplift spirits, and create lasting memories. So, gather your colleagues’ input, mix in a blend of holiday classics and contemporary hits, and let the music spread the holiday cheer!
Harmonizing the Holiday Spirit: A Playlist for Memorable Office Celebrations
Music has the remarkable ability to transform ordinary gatherings into unforgettable experiences. As the holiday season approaches, the thought of attending or hosting office parties might evoke mixed emotions among employees. However, envision a celebration infused with the right tunes – a concept made possible by the collaboration between LinkedIn and Spotify.
Recognizing the significance of a well-crafted playlist, LinkedIn and Spotify have curated a Christmas music collection designed to infuse life into even the most awkward office gatherings. This collaborative effort aims to set the tone for an enjoyable and harmonious holiday celebration, elevating the festive spirit.
Blair Decembrele, LinkedIn’s editorial marketing director, wisely suggests that the key to a successful musical backdrop lies in embracing beloved holiday classics. The playlist showcases the most beloved and time-tested Christmas songs that resonate well with colleagues and evoke feelings of nostalgia and joy.
The carefully selected playlist spans eras and genres, capturing both timeless classics and contemporary favorites. Notably, Michael Bublé’s resonant voice takes center stage, appearing on multiple tracks and adding his signature charm to the musical collection.
While traditional holiday standards are thoughtfully included, the playlist’s diversity extends to encompass modern interpretations from the 1980s and 1990s. By combining these various musical elements, the playlist creates a bridge between generations, ensuring that everyone finds a tune to groove to.
Ease of access is paramount, and the LinkedIn/Spotify playlist is conveniently available for immediate streaming through Bluetooth devices, filling your office space with festive melodies without delay. Moreover, the playlist can be personalized, allowing office organizers to tailor the selection to their unique atmosphere and preferences. An additional touch of inclusivity can be achieved by inviting employees to share their favorite tracks, fostering collaboration and engagement.
Ultimately, this partnership between LinkedIn and Spotify presents not just a playlist, but a harmonious tool that encapsulates the essence of the holiday season. By embracing the power of music, offices can create a warm and inviting atmosphere, setting the stage for memorable moments of joy, laughter, and connection.
As the holiday season unfolds, let the rhythm of the LinkedIn/Spotify office party playlist infuse your workplace with merriment, turning ordinary gatherings into extraordinary celebrations. The universal language of music has the power to unite and uplift, and with the right playlist, your office party can truly resonate as a holiday masterpiece.
Photo via Shutterstock
More in: Holidays